If everyone had the key to moving from employee to entrepreneur it would be a world void of workers. But, not everyone has the determination, commitment and goal-setting abilities to achieve the dream. If you have a dream of becoming an entrepreneur, but just can’t seem to break out of the employee mentality, there are some things you should know to help you make the switch:
- How is what you have to offer (product or service) different? This is where research of your competitors makes a difference. Your idea may be better, but it may make a difference in how you present it to others for it to become a success – or not. Be clear about the differences in the product.
- Develop a clear plan. Write down how you intend to bring your dream service or product to the finish line. Even though the plan may keep changing, you’ve got to have a plan in place to know which step is next. Maintain flexibility, but have a plan.
- Take action. No dream ever sees reality if action isn’t taken to make it work. Whether you succeed or fail, you’ll never know if your dream can be what you envision if you don’t try. Set goals, work toward them and give it everything you’ve got.
- Who are your customers? This is likely the most important part of bringing your dreams to reality. Without a defined customer base, you’ll flounder in the market place. Your product or service may be great and worthy of success, but if the “right” people don’t know about it, it won’t work.
- What are your resources? As an entrepreneur, breaking out of an employee mentality, you’re going to require resources to get you through difficult times. Financial responsibilities may be daunting when you first quit your job and you should plan to have an “entrepreneurial fund” available to provide a cushion when needed.
- Determine how your product/service solves a problem. Most people purchase things depending on their wants or needs. If your idea can solve a problem or become a convenient solution, it’s more apt to turn into a reality for you.
When you have the entrepreneurial mindset, you’re going to find a way to turn your dreams and ideas into the reality that will set you on fire and make your business a success.
Learn all you can about making the transition from employee to entrepreneur before you take the plunge and you’ll be much better prepared and have a much better chance of success.